0

Austin - the USGP - do these two phrases fit together?

Thursday 27 May 2010

Ladies and Gentleman, it has finally happened. The USGP is returning to the F1 calendar, come 2012.

And there appears to be a great deal of cynicism about it. Is this really justified?

Well, to be honest, actually yes it is. So far, new tracks haven't really delivered - the racing is, quite simply, just better at the traditional tracks. Certainly, the author of the Welsh Grand Prix Blog seems to think so. He's written 10 wholesome points on why the USGP at Austin simply won't happen.

And indeed, all of these points are correct. But does this mean we as motor racing fans want this Grand Prix to fail? For me, I can certainly say not.

Of all the locations in the world, I truly believe that a Grand Prix in America would be the best "new" location to visit. It has the fans, it has the money, and I would very much argue that it has the "right atmosphere" too (even if Bernie disagrees here, considering he said that fans at Indy were the "wrong kind of people" - bare-faced cheek that.

I would love to see a Grand Prix in Austin. Yet I would also like to see a Grand Prix on the moon. What both of these things have in common is they will either fail, or they'll never happen in the first place (though who knows with the moon?)

So, am I pleased about the USGP finally making a return to the F1 calendar? Yes, yes I am. But yet I am also equally depressed and skeptical about the whole thing.

0 Responses to "Austin - the USGP - do these two phrases fit together?"